Pages

Jan 14, 2015

TOW + ETP = A Match Made in Heaven?

The Outlaw Way + Eat to Perform

You already know I'm following The Outlaw Way.  Still going good!  I jammed my shoulder on a near max attempt split jerk a few months ago and it hasn't felt right since, so I'm laying off the jerks and kipping for a few weeks to hopefully heal whatever damage I did.  Lots of squats in my future.  Speaking of squats...

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy 220#



Oh, oh, OH!!!! AND I GOT A MUSCLE UP!


This isn't THE muscle up.  That one was much uglier.  But I had a class of CF Plexus members there to cheer me on for my first MU.  It was kind of amazing.  My arm got stuck and I had to fight through it and I kicked my way through the dip and everyyyyything.  Just how I imagined. :D

No lack of PRs going on for me!

Starting back in October I signed up for the Eat to Perform program/Science Lab/Forum.  I had read their articles before, tried to add up my calories/macros on my own using their (free!) online calculator, but never really jumped in because frankly, I was scared of the carbs.

Paleo has had me in that "low carb" mindset for a few years now.  Paleo, low carbs and high fats work for lots of people. Apparently not for athletes.

Hey! I'm an athlete! Well, a "competitive exerciser" haha. Kind of competitive. So, I did my research. Conclusion? I need more carbs. LOTS more carbs. Like 200g+ per day more carbs.  And less fat.

I jumped in.  The moderators on the forum are SUPER helpful.  I scoured the forum to answer any questions that I may have had.  I don't like being *that* person who asks dumb, repetitive questions, so I found most of the information myself.  They assigned me some macros.  2110 calories of 70g Fat, 230(!)g carbs, 140g protein.  You're supposed to gradually work up to your new numbers, but I'm too impatient for that shit.  Plus I wanted to eat allthecarbs.  Bloat and weight gain ensued.  (Not too much)  I liked the program though, so I stuck through it! The weight and bloat went away after a few weeks. So far I'm down 10 lbs total and about 1-2% body fat.  Our scale isn't all that accurate at BF%, so I take it with a grain of salt.

With some planning and food shopping, it's pretty easy to meet my macros every day.  I still occasionally have trouble keeping my fats under 70g (damn paleo), and getting over 200g of carbs.  I usually hit 200, but I need to find some more fast-burning carb food to eat pre-bed that doesn't have any fats.  I use up that fat allowance quickly. :( I think the key to my success is making sure that I hit my protein every day.  Also, rest days (control days), my carb intake drops down to 100-125 to give me a calorie deficit and put me in "fat-burning mode."  Of course these are the days that I want to eat every carb in sight.  Figures.

SO! I am attributing my PRs to my new IIFYM/ETP/flexible dieting approach.  And reaping all the benefits of my carb allowances with DONUTS.



OM NOM NOM

I'm also starting to see some ab definition. So there's that.  :D

I'm participating in a challenge in the forum from January - March.  There are before/after photos and measurements.  I'll let you know my progress!



No comments:

Post a Comment