August 30th we finished the Whole30. A whole 30 days of super clean, REAL FOOD. Here's what I learned:
1. It's not.that.hard. - Seriously, not that difficult. Sure it's a PITA to cook every.single.meal., but make a plan, and stick to it! You'll find it's easier to eat at home then eating out...
2. Restaurants suck. There is soy in EV.ER.Y.THING. Seriously, Chipotle? Ruining everything with soybean oil... Moe's? Why does your steak need to have "milk products" in it? It's fucking STEAK. Blech. Also, sweet potatoes with added sugar? What the what? C'mon people.
3. People will think you're weird. - You'll have to explain what you're doing, and why you're doing it, multiple times. Get used to it. Memorize it. Give them your It Starts with Food book.
4. You will feel FAN-fucking-TASTIC. - They aren't kidding.
5. It's a good thing I like to cook. We had a different meal for dinner for each day (with the exception of burgers. There were quite a few nekkid burgers). This challenge would have been mighty boring eating the same thing every day.
6. I miss pancakes. Paleo pancakes, but pancakes. And waffles. I made pumpkin pancakes that weekend and I swear they were the best thing I've ever tasted.
7. I don't miss bread. I DO miss ice cream. And alcohol. And snacks.
8. I love eggs. Scrambled eggs with Tessamae's hot sauce has been my favorite breakfast, snack, lunch, dinner, ever. Omelettes are the shit.
10. Sweet potato fries, fried in coconut oil, are the best thing since sliced bread. But better.
11. We need a bigger dishwasher. I've been running it once a day, and that's not enough. It's full of tupperwares 24/7.
12. We're going to keep eating like this as much as possible. I won't be too picky about going out to eat, but we don't do that often to begin with. We're only going off-roading if it's reaaaaallllyy worth it. Paleo "treats" only on the weekend.
We have started adding stuff back, and I'm happy that the "reactions" haven't been all that bad. Sure, I still feel tired, sluggish, bloated and crampy, but it's nothing I can't deal with occasionally. Gluten (beer), and sugar, and probably soy were tested this weekend, with no major issues. Dairy isn't all that nice to us, so we've cut it down significantly. I've had ice cream once, and I'm sure it's in some of the food we eat out (I'm looking at you, STARBUCKS PUMPKIN SYRUP), but for the most part, we've cut dairy. I don't really miss it (thanks to coconut milk), and my face is thanking me for it :)
SO! Drumroll please........................
I'm sure you want the "final" results, eh? Sean and I both lost 8 lbs. Down almost 2% body fat. I PR'd my deadlift by 10#s. Sean's a beast and racked all our weights, and did 320#, twice. I ran my fastest 2 miles, ever, without running for 6+ months. We feel great, and don't feel deprived. It's awesome what eating real food and not processed crap/chemicals will do for you!
Day 1 off Whole30:
I made THE BEST PALEO PIZZA EVER to celebrate. Seriously, amazing. I don't think I'll ever make a regular pizza again. A- It's not worth it unless it's NJ/NY pizza. B- This is a bangin substitute. It was still technically whole30 compliant with the ingredients, but some might call it "SWYPO" ;) I topped it with sauce, sausage, peppers, and onions. #NOMS
Saturday was fantasy football draft day, so of course there were beers. Pumpkin beers. This was the gluten test. So far so good.
And paleo pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. <---I added an egg to that recipe.
Some Whole30 Approved foods!