Pages

Mar 12, 2013

Knockoff Chipolte Burrito Bowls (and 13.1)

Ever get in the mood for Chipolte?  Usually this coincides with "I don't want to cook tonight."   Haha.  For once, I was feeling some Mexican, but since it was a Saturday, I had no excuse not to cook.  I may or may not have also mixed up some grapefruit margaritas.  Mmmm.

I threw these burrito "bowls" together based off the Chipolte burrito bowl.  They were AMAZING.  And so simple!  A lot of steps, but VERY easy.  And if you already have leftovers, it's even easier!  I used quinoa instead of rice, and crockpot salsa chicken.  Fry up some pepper onions, heat up the black beans, and BAM!  This will definitely be happening again.




Burrito Bowls (serves 4)

Ingredients:

Cilantro Lime Quinoa:
juice of 1 lime
2 cups quinoa
4 cups water
1 tbsp EVOO
2 tsp cilantro
S&P to taste

Salsa Chicken:
5-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 jar salsa  (I used trader joe's roasted garlic)
1 (16 oz) can tomato sauce
1 4 oz can green chiles

Toppings:
1 can black beans
1 bell pepper, sliced
1 red onion, sliced
EVOO

Optional Add Ons:
Cheese (cheddar, colby jack)
Avocado
sour cream
more salsa!

Start with the chicken.  Add the chicken to the crockpot with salsa, sauce and chiles.  Mix up to coat everything, then cook on low for 6-8 hours.  Shred chicken and return to sauce for 30 minutes to incorporate everything.

Once chicken has been shredded, start on the quinoa.  Bring water to a boil, add quinoa and olive oil, and cook for 20 minutes, until water is absorbed.  Pour quinoa into a bowl and fluff with fork.  Mix in cilantro, lime juice, season with S&P

While quinoa is cooking, add some EVOO to a frying pan over medium high and fry up the peppers and onions.

Drain and rinse black beans, heat in small saucepan.

Once everything is done, it's time to assemble!  (News Team, ASSEMBLEEEEEEEE!)

Quinoa, salsa chicken, black beans, peppers and onions.  Add a dollop of sour cream, some shredded cheese, top with sliced avocado.  YUM!



So...last week was Workout 13.1 for the Crossfit Open.  It's 5 weeks of WODs, they announce it every Wednesday.  We didn't officially sign up for the open since we don't belong to a box...figured we'd save our money...but we are still going to be doing the WODs!  Last week was killer.  Burpees and Snatches.


Considering my 1RM before attempting this was 85# for Snatch, I was somewhat intimidated by the Female RX.  Buuuuuuuuuut I did it!  We finished the 30 burpees with 7 minutes to go, so I had 7 minutes to attempt 30 snatches at 75#.  And I got 21!  I feel like if I did it again I could have gotten more...but not really all that motivated to do it again.  ;)  I also broke our futon on the 21st rep.  Whoops.



I'm pretty impressed with our attempts.  Sean had never snatched 135# and said it was going up pretty easy at the end.  It's a scary weight, but 90% of it is a freaking head game.  Once you get past the mental block that "HOLY SHIT I'M THROWING "X" POUNDS OVER MY HEAD" and just do it, it's surprisingly easy.  Amazing.  Too bad I learned that AFTER the WOD. ;)  At least now I'm prepared for 13.2!

Somebody needs a haircut.

No comments:

Post a Comment