Pages

Apr 23, 2012

Couch 2 5k Review

Soooooooooo I did it!  I completed the program on March 18th, after running twice a week for about 3 months.  I definitely modified the program a bit to be more convenient for me, but it still got me to the same goal!  3.1 miles in 30 minutes :D

And not too bad for speed either!   The program was great.  It pushed me, but it was definitely do-able.  I was able to repeat a few of the "days" if I felt I didn't get a good run in or wasn't ready to advance yet.  I started in the middle of the program, because I had already been running semi-regularly and felt like the first 4 weeks wouldn't hold enough of a challenge for me.  I used the Couch 2 5k app on my android, and it worked perfectly.  You can also check out the running program from the website here.  I ran both outside and on the treadmill, but found that I enjoy running outside much better.  Go figure.  I used to love the treadmill for runs, but after a mile or so, it starts to get preeeeettttttty boring.  Plus the weather has been gorgeous lately, and I'll take any excuse to be outside! :)

I should also add that this was a great way for me to transition into "barefoot" or minimalist running.  The way the walk/run splits are in the beginning really helped to give my feet a break and reminded me to focus on my form.  I had sore calves after a few runs, but never any pain.  

I'm going to continue running, possibly move onto the 10k runner app for my phone.  After I'm finished with P90X2 and have some more time, I'm going to add in some sprints as well.  I'll let you know how it goes ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment