Pages

Jul 23, 2012

Paleo Coconut Waffles

I'm always skeptical in trying a new "paleo-fied" recipe.  Basically because I'm expecting the real thing, and it never comes close.  My last attempt at paleo "waffles" ended up on the griddle as a lame attempt with pancakes after they were destroyed by my waffle maker. 

This recipe actually works in the waffle maker!  I was impressed.  It contains absolutely no grains, and no sugar.  19g of protein, AND they taste awesome.  Win all around!  I ate one for breakfast this morning plain, but I'm planning on topping one with some almond or peanut butter for breakfast tomorrow :)  As you can guess, they heat up great as well!

Paleo Coconut Waffles 

Source: Whole Wheat or Bust


    4 whole eggs
    8 egg whites
    1/3 cup coconut milk, unsweetened (I used almond breeze coconut almond milk)

    2 tsp vanilla
    1/4 tsp of cinnamon
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 of a ripe banana, mashed
    2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 cup coconut flour
In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, egg yolks, coconut beverage, vanilla, and banana. In a separate bowl, mix together the baking soda, coconut flour, cinnamon, and salt. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and mix. I blended it in a blender for a few seconds to ensure it is perfectly smooth. Pour back into bowl. Whisk in the melted coconut oil. Pour into a preheated waffle maker and follow the instructions for the waffle maker.  (I cooked mine 3-4 minutes each)

This recipe made 4 belgian waffles for me, coming in at 265 calories each, 12g fat (good fat!), 20g carbs, 4g sugar, and 19g of protein!


No comments:

Post a Comment